Candidiasis or candidiasis, known officially as “thrush”, in both men and women, presents such a common problem in my daily practice that I decided to write this easy-to-follow guide to explain the key aspects about the problem of candidiasis and outline the main treatment approaches in 7 easy steps. .
Generally speaking, candidiasis is caused by the overgrowth of a parasitic fungal microorganism known as Candida, which is present in humans from birth and does not normally cause any problems unless an overgrowth of the Candida fungus occurs. There are eight types of candida known to cause infections in humans and Candida albicans is by far the most common. Candida overgrowth causes yeast infection/thrush in its basic form which can affect various mucous membranes in the body from the mouth to the genitals.
The main symptoms of candidiasis include:
– bloating, belching, gas
– abdominal discomfort, feeling unwell
– nausea, constipation, diarrhoea.
– genital itching, pain, redness
– genital discharge (characteristic discharge similar to cottage cheese)
– sore mouth, creamy white patches on the tongue, roof of the mouth, back of the throat, and inside of the cheeks
7 steps to help get rid of candidiasis:
1. Be sure to see your doctor if you have recurrent yeast infections (a few times a year), particularly of the mouth/genitals. It could possibly indicate other health problems and medical conditions such as diabetes that need to be excluded.
2. Antifungal medications: Talk to your pharmacist about which one is best to use. Depending on the symptoms or the part of the body affected, a different preparation may be recommended. Make sure the medication is used properly and for the period of time specified by the manufacturer to kill the fungus.
3. Regular exercise is very important to support healthy immune function. It is important to exercise at least 30 minutes per day. Exercise doesn’t have to be stubborn. Walking is the best form of exercise available and can be easily implemented into even the busiest of lifestyles.
4. Diet. There is a lot of information on diet in managing yeast infection. But I would like to emphasize avoiding fatty and fried foods and include more vegetables and grains. Fruit consumption should also be limited to 2 servings per day while being treated for candidiasis due to the high sugar content.
5. I would like to single out GARLIC as a separate treatment option due to its tremendous ability to kill all kinds of fungal infections. For best results, I always recommend swallowing 2-3 small garlic cloves in the morning on an empty stomach with a glass of water and not eating or drinking anything for at least 1/2 hour after that. Cloves should be swallowed whole without chewing to avoid the smell :))
6. Supplements. Zinc supplementation has been found to improve the body’s resistance to yeast infection. For oral thrush I usually recommend dissolving a zinc lozenge in the mouth as it may be more beneficial than swallowing a tablet or capsule.
– Probiotic supplements containing acidophilic cultures and bifidus help restore normal, healthy flora in the gut that forms a barrier against harmful bacteria. A probiotic supplement can help prevent infections or reduce the severity of yeast infection.
– In cases of low immune function, there may be an oversupply of harmful molecules (free radicals). Antioxidants like vitamins A, C, E, zinc, grape seed extract, coenzyme Q10, and selenium help reduce the number of free radicals in the body.
– Echinacea and goldenseal are herbs that help boost the immune system and prevent infection. Effective gargles and mouthwashes against oral candidiasis can be made from a combination of these herbs and propolis liquid. Propolis, a natural product of bees, has antimicrobial properties that can help eliminate the candida organism.
– Astragalus is an herb with a long history of traditional use in Chinese herbal medicine. Clinical trials have shown that Astragalus has immune-enhancing properties. This herb can be especially beneficial in cases of chronic and recurring thrush.
7. Regular stress management/relaxation. It is very important to allow your body to rest in order to maintain good immune function. Good nights sleep, relaxation exercises (yoga or tai chi) will allow your natural defenses to keep candidiasis at bay.